Areas of Expertise: Accounting & Controlling, Desktop Valuations, Feasibility Studies, Investment appraisal
David consults on a wide range of matters including strategic data analysis, viability studies, growth scenarios, benchmarking, business restructure and turnaround, action plans, funding, capital project appraisal, business investment and day to day financial management, forecasting and budgeting.
Examples of recent projects demonstrating this range of services include:
- the delivery of a strategic review, restructure and capital investment programme to reposition the Dart Marina Hotel, Dartmouth;
- viability modelling of a UK hospitality start-up and French-European retreat concept;
- conducting a strategic data analysis to inform turnaround marketing strategies for a Manchester hotel property;
- appraisal of a range of investment opportunities within the hospitality and leisure, construction, financial services and renewable energy sectors;
- reporting on optimal growth scenarios for a property development company including financial projections required to secure funding;
- building live-data tools to facilitate yield management strategies and post-investment review;
- financial appraisal and report into real estate and product options for an Irish-owned Spanish coastal resort;
David’s expertise enables him to report to clients using clear and concise analysis, advice and recommendations to inform client decision-making.
The strategic and business unit reviews undertaken for the Dart Marina Hotel enabled the board to take the decision to restructure, reposition and invest in the business generating a 57% increase in EBITDA and providing the confidence to undertake phase two of the investment project.
As part of a turnaround team, David’s detailed strategic data analysis of a Manchester hotel’s historic revenue and statistical data summarised KPI performance clearly and concisely to underpin turnaround marketing strategies that resulted in an increase in turnover of £0.5m in the first 6 months and thereafter the exceeding of targets by 10% month on month.
In another project reporting on the optimal growth scenarios for a property development company, David’s analysis evaluated profitability, cash flow and funding security for a range of scenarios, recommending a cyclical approach to project development. On the back of the report’s recommendations and projections the business been able to secure alternative funding to enable it to enter into multiple projects, increase its profitability and have a clear strategy to minimise future reliance on external funding.
David brings 20+ years of hospitality experience gained in independent and corporate Managing Director, Finance Director and Financial Controller roles in 4 and 5 star city centre and leisure hotels and resorts. More recently he has been consulting on hospitality and leisure projects as well as investments in a range of other industry sectors.
David is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and a practising Member in Practice of the Institute.